CHICKEN BREASTS STUFFED WITH PIMIENTO CHEESE
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese, preferably smoked
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon sliced pimientos, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Adapted from EATINGWELL.COM
1.Preheat oven to 400°F.
2.Combine Gouda, scallion, pimientos and 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a small bowl.
3.Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of each chicken breast, nearly through to the opposite side, and open like a book. Sprinkle the breasts with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Divide the cheese filling among the breasts, placing it in the center of each. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Sprinkle the breasts with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
4.Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes It can be difficult to find small chicken breasts. Remove the strip of meat from the underside of a 5- to 6-ounce breast—the “tender,” about 1 ounce of meat—to yield a perfect individual portion. Freeze the tenders and use them in a stir-fry.