Pork Noodle Soup with Cinnamon and Anise
- 2 1/2 pounds country-style pork ribs
- 6 cups water
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cup Chinese Shaoxing wine or medium-dry Sherry
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 3 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise
- 5 1/2 ounces bean thread (cellophane) noodles
Gently simmer all ingredients except noodles in a 6-quart heavy pot, covered, skimming as needed, until pork is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Transfer pork to a bowl. Discard bones, spices, and garlic. Coarsely shred meat. Skim fat from broth, then return meat and bring to a simmer. Rinse noodles, then stir into broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until noodles are translucent and tender, about 6 minutes.