- 1-1/2 cups enriched white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of bacon drippin’s or melted real butter
- 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, add a tablespoon of shortening and preheat.
3. Sift together dry ingredients; add buttermilk, egg, and drippings, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Pour into the greased, hot skillet. Bake in preheated hot oven at 450 for 20-25 minutes.
5. Serve warm with butter.