Cauliflower-Leek Kugel with Almond-Herb Crust
This flavorful, low carb kugel is perfect for Passover or any other holiday celebration, because it is rich and delicious, can serve a crowd, and travels well during all that holiday hustle and bustle. Packed full of vegetables like leeks and cauliflower this dish makes and excellent week night meal when served on the side of a meaty main course or as a vegetarian main dish with a side salad.
- 2 medium cauliflower heads, separated into florets, about 8 cups
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large leeks, coarsely chopped, white and pale green parts, about 4 cups
- 6 tablespoons unsalted matzo meal
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
- salt to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Cook cauliflower in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; transfer to large bowl and mash coarsely with potato masher.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender and just beginning to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Add leek mixture to cauliflower. Mix in matzo meal. Beat eggs, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon dill, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; stir into cauliflower mixture.
Brush 11x7-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil. Spread cauliflower mixture evenly in prepared dish. Mix almonds, remaining 7 tablespoons parsley, 7 tablespoons dill, and 2 tablespoons oil in medium bowl to blend. Sprinkle evenly over kugel. This recipe can be made 8 hours ahead of time, covered, and kept chilled.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake kugel uncovered until set in center and beginning to brown on top, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
You'll also love
- Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp &... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Scallops Wrapped in Bacon 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Crock Pot White Beans 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Chops with Pomegranate and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Penne with Prosciutto, Walnuts &... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Dippin' Ghosts 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Cornbread Dressing... 4.6/5 (35 Votes)