Classic Potato Latkes
Just like they made them in the old country, these Classic Potato Latkes are a classic hit that should be on your next holiday table. Perfect for any occasion these latkes make scrumptious appetizers and are a delicious way to start any meal.
- 1-pound baking potatoes, about 3 potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup oil, divided
- 3/4 cup Breakstone's or Knudsen sour cream
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 43mins
Grate potatoes, then onion using large holes of box grater; place in center of large clean kitchen towel. Bring up ends of towel and twist together to form pouch. Hold pouch over sink, then squeeze to remove as much moisture from vegetables as possible.
Empty vegetable mixture into large bowl. Add eggs, flour and pepper; mix well.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat.
For each latke, carefully drop 1/4 cup potato mixture into skillet, cooking 6 latkes at a time. Press with back of spatula to flatten. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides. Remove latkes from skillet; drain on paper towels.
Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.
Serve warm topped with sour cream, applesauce, and chives to taste.
You'll also love
- Lobster Salad Roll 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry, Walnut, and Lemon... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Trifle 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Hash 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- How to Make Beer Cheese Sauce 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Deep Fried Deviled Eggs II 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Steak Gorgonzola with Spinach... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream -... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)