French Country Soup
- 8 ounces dry navy, Great Northern, or cannellini beans(white kidney beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound beef or lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 1 1/2
- teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 1/2
- teaspoon salt
- 1/4 1/4
- teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toasted French bread slices (optional)
1. Rinse and drain beans. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine beans and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain beans in colander; rinse beans. In a 3-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, meat, broth, carrots, celery, onion, wine, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving. If desired, serve with toasted French bread slices. Makes 6 servings.