Tortilla & Black Bean Pie
This is a colorful and flavorful meatless meal. I love the combination of black beans and corn. Four tortillas are stacked with seasoned black beans and cheese, and topped with scallions. You can easily assemble this pie, that is baked in a springform pan (for easier serving) and bake it when you're ready. Served with a salad, and garnished with sour cream, this is a flavorful Mexican themed meal-- and, most likely, you have many of the ingredients on hand. Recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food October 2003.
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/2-cups)
- Sour cream and salsa, as a garnish (optional)
- Cilantro, as a garnish (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.
This is most delicious served with a dollop of sour cream. Cilantro and a little salsa, on the side, is perfect with this.