Venison Pot Pie
Store-bought pastry dough makes this recipe a simple one to create, yet full of comfort and memories.
- 2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 (9-inch) prepared pastry dough
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep pie dish.
2) Season venison with salt and pepper. Roll in flour to coat.
3) Heat butter in a large skillet over medium. Add venison and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots, and garlic; cook until softened, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add wine, peas, broth, and Bay leaves; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low 20 minutes.
4) Transfer mixture to prepared pie dish. Cover with prepared pastry dough and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until top is golden and juices are bubbly.