Toffee Nut Bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (1 1/3 stick) unsalted butter, slightly firm
- 2 cups lightly packed very fresh light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons medium fine chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Position the rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the jelly roll pan well.
Strain together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until lightened in color. Add the brown sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, and beat well until light in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs on e at a time, then the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed in low and add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing just to incorporate.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using a large rubber spatula, fold in 1 cup of the walnuts and the chocolate chips. Spread the mixture in the pan, smoothing the top with a small offset spatula. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of walnuts.
Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the sides are lightly browned. Do not over bake. A toothpick inserted in the center should still show signs of moistness. Place on cooling rack for 1 hour, then cut into 1 3/4 x2 inch squares.