Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 large bell peppers (green, orange, red or yellow)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can sweet corn, drained (8 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups long-grain cooked rice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare bell peppers for baking by cutting off the tops and removing the spines and seeds. The peppers need to be softened before baking. Softening of the peppers can be accomplished in one of two ways: 1) Steam the bell pepper on a wire rack above water for 10 to 15 minutes 2) Or cover the bell peppers with water and boil for 3 minutes. After softening process set bell peppers aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir and cook ground beef until it is browned. Be sure to separate beef into small pieces while stirring. Next add onions and garlic cloves, stir and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in sweet corn, salt, pepper, thyme, cooked rice and 1 cup tomato juice. Mix all ingredients well, then stuff mixture into peppers.
5. Place stuffed bell peppers upright into shallow baking dish and add the remaining tomato juice. Cover with aluminum foil and bake stuffed bell peppers at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes. Remove foil, add cheese topping and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese melts.
6. Spoon the remaining tomato juice from the baking dish over the stuffed bell peppers and serve hot.