Key Lime Bars with Macadamia Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped macadamias
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream,whipped
- Garnish: grated lime rind
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Process flour and next 4 ingredients in a food processor until finely ground. Press mixture into a greased aluminum foil-lined 13- x 9-inch pan.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Heat 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup lime juice over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons lime juice in a medium bowl; stir gelatin mixture, and let stand 3 to 5 minutes.
Add hot mixture, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and grated lime rind.
Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice; whisk mixture 10 minutes or until partially set.
Fold in whipped cream. Pour evenly over prepared crust; cover and chill 8 hours. Cut into diamond shapes. Garnish, if desired.