Crock Pot White Beans
An economical dinner to make when you're under the weather
- 1 lb navy or white kidney beans
- 3 large onions, peeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 TBS of fresh rosemary,chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Pick the beans and remove any pebbles, broken beans and any visible dirt. Rinse well under running water and place it in a large bowl. Top it with water by 2 inches and let it soak overnight (6 - 8 hours).
2. Press the cloves into one of the onions until they stick and chop the remaining two onions. Place the beans in a crock pot bowl with water enough to cover them. Add all the onions, garlic and rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4 hours. If using a pot, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer it until beans are tender, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
3. If you like a thicker sauce, scoop out some beans (about one ladle full) and mash them with a fork. Return it to the pot and cook it for a while longer until desired consistency is achieved.