Southwest Veggie and Cheese Panini
Lots of colorful vegetables and salsa make this cheesy panini prettier than any grilled cheese you've ever seen.
- 1 ounces sharp ceddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup zucchini, shredded
- 2 tablespoon carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon pickled jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Have one 15-ounce cans and a small skillet (not nonstick) ready by the stove if you do not have panini press
Combine Cheddar, zucchini, carrot, onion, salsa and jalapeño (if using) in a medium bowl. Divide among 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
Heat 1/4 teaspoon canola oil in a Medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1/4 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.