Potato Latkes with Applesauce
Whether served alone or as a side dish to a larger meal, these simple and savory potato latkes are a special treat either way.
Tip: If you're making these as an appetizer (YUM!), just use 1 Tbsp. instead of a 1/4 cup to scoop the potatoes into the frying pan. Serve with various toppings such as sour cream, chives, or smoked salmon.
This recipe is prepared in the Cook's Essentials® Porcelain Enamel 4-qt. Deep Chef Pan (K29233).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated onion (squeezed of excess moisture)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large slices
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1-inch to 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 strips lemon zest lemon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
Prepare the applesauce first by bringing all the ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the apples have softened. Remove from the heat and cool.
Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon zest. Mash the apples with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
To prepare the latkes, combine the beaten egg, salt, pepper, onion, and scallions a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
Peel the potatoes and grate them on the large side of a box grater. Place the potatoes in a dish towel or cheese cloth and wring out the excess moisture.
Add the potatoes to the egg mixture. Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes and mix all the ingredients together until potatoes are well coated.
Heat the oil over medium heat in the Chef's Pan (or another medium- or large-sized sauté pan). When the oil is hot, scoop a 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the oil and flatten each cake slightly to form a pancake.
Fry until golden brown, about 5 – 8 minutes, then flip and brown the other side. Transfer the pancakes to a plate or cookie sheet lined with paper towels to remove the excess oil. (You may need to fry the pancakes in batches.)
Spread applesauce on each latke and serve.
You'll also love
- Kentucky Hot Brown Casserole 3.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Artichoke Spinach Dip from Olive... 3.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Chicken and Rice... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Highbush Cranberry Jelly 3.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with... 3.7/5 (40 Votes)
- Graham Cracker Crumb Apple Pie 3.3/5 (43 Votes)
- Sweet Potato and Chorizo Sausage... 3.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart 4/5 (20 Votes)