- 1 whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 med onion , plus 2 chopeeed med onions
- 3 whole garlic cloves, plus 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 \4 cup coarse salt
- 2 14 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tab ground allspice
- 1 tab dried thyme
- 1 teasp dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 \4 cup veg oil
- 1 1\2 cups chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepeer, ribs and seeds removed chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 pound andouille sausage or kielbasa, sliced into 1\2 inch thick pieces
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 pound medium shrimp about 30 peeled, devined and tails removed
In a large stockpot, combine chicken and enough cold water to just cover the chicken. Add 1\2 onion, 3 whole garlic cloves, and 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and cook for about an hour. Allow to cool . Remove chicken from pot, remove meat, discarding skin, and shred. Set aside. Strain broth, discarding slods and set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, combine 3 cups of the chicken broth, tomatoes, allspice, thyme, basil, oregano, and hot sauce over medium heat. Bring to simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons vegatable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery, chopped onions, bell peppers, and minced garlic. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes, add to dutch oven.
In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 tab oil over high heat, add sausage, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to dutch oven. Add shredded chicken, rice, and remaining 2 tab of salt, simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add shrimp, and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand foe a few minutes and serve.