New Orleans style red beans and rice
- 1 pound dried red beans, soaked overnight
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 4 cups cooked rice
1.Place the beans and water into a slow cooker. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage in the skillet; remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and transfer to the slow cooker. Reserve drippings. Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic to the drippings; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer everything from the skillet to the slow cooker.
2.Season the mixture with pepper and Creole seasoning. Add the fresh basil leaves and ham hock. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender. If the bean mixture seems too watery, take the lid off the slow cooker and set heat to High to cook until they reach a creamy texture.