Lemon Pudding Cake
This recipe for Lemon Pudding Cake comes from Cooks Country Magazine (April 2009). I would describe this wonderful dessert as a souffle-lemon custard dessert. It's almost magic how the lemon and cake layers separate. It's light, lemony, creamy and not too sweet. This is going to be making repeat performances in my kitchen.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 2 tablespoons grated zest and 1/2 cup juice from 4 lemons
- 5 large eggs , separated
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk , room temperature
- 2 quarts boiling water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 325°F.
Grease 8-inch square baking dish.
Whisk flour and cornstarch in bowl.
In a separate, large bowl, with electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Beat in yolks, one at a time, until incorporated.
Reduce speed to medium-low. Add flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
Slowly add milk and lemon juice, mixing until just combined.
Using clean bowl and whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
With mixer running, slowly add remaining sugar until whites are firm and glossy, about 1 minute.
Whisk one-third of whites into batter, then gently fold in remaining whites, one scoop at a time, until well combined.
Place kitchen towel in bottom of roasting pan and arrange prepared baking dish on towel.
Spoon batter into prepared dish.
Carefully place pan on oven rack and pour boiling water into pan until water comes halfway up the sides of baking dish.
Bake until surface is golden brown and edges are set (center should jiggle slightly when gently shaken), about 60 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack and let cool at least 1 hour. Serve.
You'll also love
- Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar... 4.3/5 (72 Votes)
- Balsamic Roast Beef 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Coconut Flour... 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Scallops with Lemon Wine Sauce and... 4.5/5 (56 Votes)
- Lemon-Shrimp Pasta 4.5/5 (56 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Sheet Cake 4.5/5 (53 Votes)