Macaroni and Cheese with Basil Bread Crumbs
- 8 ounces dry pipette or elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1 ⁄2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 3 each fontina cheese, white Cheddar, and white American cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon Parmesan, grated
- 2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and Tabasco to taste
- 2 slices soft white bread
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°. Coat four 1-cup ovenproof baking dishes (or one 1-qt. baking dish) with nonstick spray.
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water in a saucepan for 1 minute less than directed on the package. Drain and set aside; return pan to medium-low heat.
Melt butter in the pan, then add flour, stirring until pasty. Gradually whisk in milk and broth, increase heat to medium, and bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in cheeses until smooth, then add mustard, Worcestershire; season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Tabasco. Fold in macaroni and transfer to prepared baking dishes.
Process bread, basil, oil, salt, and pepper to taste in a food processor until fine; sprinkle over macaroni. Bake until sauce is bubbly and crumbs are browned, 15 minutes.