Wiggly Chicken Cannelloni
- 3 cups (750 mL) spaghetti sauce, any kind
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 lb (500 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 14 to 16 uncooked oven-ready cannelloni shells
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Pour 1 cup (250 mL) of the sauce into bottom of 8 or 9 in. (20 or 23 cm) square baking dish.
3. Cut the chicken breasts into long, thin strips. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with the garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
4. Now here comes the fun part. (You’ve got to call in the kids for this.) Working with one slimy, wiggly strip of raw chicken breast at a time, stuff each cannelloni shell until it is full of chicken from end to end. Itýs like trying to stuff live slugs into a travel toothbrush tube – not that I have ever done this personally. (Make sure you remind your kids to wash their hands after handling the raw chicken, and definitely no finger licking!) As each cannelloni shell is filled, place it in the baking dish on top of the sauce. You should have enough chicken to fill 14 to 16 cannelloni shells.
5. Add water to remaining spaghetti sauce. Pour over the filled cannelloni, covering completely. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cannelloni are cooked through