Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) liquid red food color
- 2 teaspoon(s) white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup(s) (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 2 package(s) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- Red gel or paste food coloring and red and white sanding sugar, for decorating
1.Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2.Using an electric mixer, beat the granulated sugar, food color, vinegar, 1 tsp vanilla and 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
3.Divide the batter between the pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4.Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining tsp vanilla and beat until fluffy, 3 minutes.
5.Transfer 1/2 cup of the icing to a small bowl and tint red using the paste or gel; transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a writing tip. Transfer 1/2 cup white icing to a pastry bag fitted with a writing tip. Working with one cupcake at a time, frost the cupcakes with the remaining white icing, then immediately dip in the sanding sugar to coat completely; repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Using the icing in the pastry bags, pipe snowflake decorations on top.