Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche
- 1 tbl. EVOO
- 2 cups slices yellow squash
- 2 cups slices zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tbl. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 teas. salt
- 1/4 teas. pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large eggs whites
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded moz. cheese
1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor, and pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter and shortening; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With food processor on, add ice water through food chute, processing just until the mixture is combined (do not form a ball). Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap, and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp flat surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap, and fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap from dough. Fold edges under, and flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with fork. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
5. To prepare the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash, zucchini, shallots, and thyme; saute for 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender, stirring frequently. Cool the squash mixture slightly.
6. Combine 1 cup reduced-fat milk and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Arrange squash mixture evenly over crust, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour the egg mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
Wine Match: Loaded throughout with refreshing minerality and just enough of a sweet, smoky-heat flavor, the 2006 Hugel et Fils Pinot Blanc "Cuvée les Amours" (Alsace, France, $18) is an incredible match with this fresh and light Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche.
You'll also love
- Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Gnocchi with Pesto Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Poke Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lion House Pumpkin Bread or Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage and Stuffing Criss-Cross... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Savory Pork Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Healthy Zucchini Brownies 0/5 (0 Votes)