Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
Every family seems to have a special recipe for sweet potato casserole. This one is less sweet than the sticky sweet casserole of my youth. It skips the caramel and marshmallow sometimes included. You could add vegan versions of both in if you really want to. After all, any day is a holiday when you get to eat sweet potato casserole!
- 8 large sweet potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 1/2 cup water (355 ml)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (plain or vanilla) (60 top 120 ml)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or tot taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (28 g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (45 ml)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (170 g)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (*use gluten-free flour instead to make it gluten-free) (30 g)
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk or water (45 ml)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (55 g)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 375mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
The night before: Cut sweet potatoes. Make the topping by combining the ingredients and mixing thoroughly. Store topping and sweet potatoes in fridge overnight. Chop pecans and store in a covered bowl, unrefrigerated, overnight.
In the morning: Add sweet potatoes and water to an oiled crock. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
30 to 45 minutes before serving: Turn slow cooker to high. Mash sweet potatoes in crock. Add spices and part of the non-dairy milk. Add the rest of the milk if the potatoes are still too stiff, but leave out if they are runny. Drop spoonfuls of pre-mixed topping. As the topping begins to melt, spread with the back of a spoon across the top to make it more even.
Serve once the topping is melted and the dish is heated throughout.
You'll also love
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Steak, Spinach & Feta Pinwheels 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Cod En Papillote 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Cutlets... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Meatloaf Meatballs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Potatoes O’Brien 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Homemade Hot Chocolate 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Southern Cheesy Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (11 Votes)