Homemade cream puffs will wow your guests, but they are so easy to make, especially if you fill them with instant vanilla pudding. The baked shells are a simple alchemy of milk, butter, water, salt and eggs. Presto! from my son's foods teacher in high school
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Mix together vanilla instant pudding mix, cream and milk. Cover and refrigerate to set.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)
3. In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or stand mixer (I use the mixer) beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.--you can also you parchment paper.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Centers should be dry.
5. When the shells are cool, either split and fill them with the pudding mixture, or use a pastry bag to pipe the pudding into the shells. Dust with powdered suger if so desired.