Garlic-rubbed Tri-tip with Mint Caper Salsa
Wonderful Mediterranean take for a holiday meal!
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 T kosher salt
- 1 T sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless tri-tip roasts (2 to 2 1/2 lbs. each)
- MINT CAPER SALSA
- 3/4 cup EACH roughly chopped parsley and mint
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 anchovy filets
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 T capers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chile flakes
- 1 T EACH lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking time 21mins
1. Sprinkle garlic with salt and mince to combine, then mash to a paste with flat side of chef's knife. In a small bowl, mix paste with paprika, pepper, and 2 T oil. Spread paste all over tri-tips. Wrap meat in plastic wrap and chill at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
2. Preheat oven to 350º. Scrape excess marinade from meat. Heat remaining 1 T oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown tri-tips on one side only, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn meat over in pan; then set in oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 125º for medium-rare, about 20 minutes. Let meat rest, uncovered on a cutting board for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make salsa. Put all salsa ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times to combine into a rough sauce.
4. Slice each tri-tip thinly across the grain, rotating the meat to keep knife perpendicular to the grain (it changes direction on tri-tip). Serve with salsa.