Wild Mushroom Soup
This is a combination of Mom's recipe and my own.
I had to play with the ingredients since Mama was a lot like Baba Prychitko.... a little bit of this.... and little bit of that!
Bob says that he remembers there being small chunks of potatoes in the soup.
She didn't include potatoes when she gave me the recipe.
- 2 cups of dried lima beans (next time I make this recipe, I think I will try 2 cans of the white lima beans in the can. It is much less work and I'm sure you would get the same effect.)
- 1 container of dried wild mushrooms (Costco)
- 3 cups of sliced shitake mushrooms
- 3 cups of sliced crimini mushrooms
- 3 cups of oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 8 cups chicken stock or use the stock from the wild mushrooms
- 8 Tbsps butter
1. Prepare the wild mushrooms from Costco according to the directions.
2. Melt butter in a large pot.
3. Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic and saute until onion is translucent.
4. Add all mushrooms and saute until begins to soften.
5 Add the wine and sherry. Boil until liquid is reduced.
6. Mash the lima beans and add to the pot. (If you are using the dried lima beans, you need to soak them in about 3 cups of water the night before. The next day add 2 more cups of water and bring to a boil until tender about 30 minutes. Drain, remove skins and mash.)
7. Add the chicken stock or the mushroom stock and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.