Vegan Roast w/ Veggies and Mashed Potatoes
- Red Wine Reduction:
- One bottle Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah (don't spend too much)
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 1/2 " thick slice of white onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 About 2 tbs. organic flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup better than bullion brand (no beef) beef stock (make it strong)
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper as needed
- First, in a lightly oiled grill pan or small sauté pan, cook the onion slice until it is dark and charred (burnt). Set it aside.
- 2 tbs. Extra virgin olive oil
- Sauté onions until translucent. Add celery and garlic, stir 2 minutes and add flour, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add beef stock, red wine, and the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until sauce has gone from purple to brown and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain and set aside.
- Mashed Potatoes:
- 10 About 10 red creamer potatoes
- 1/2 stick melted vegan butter
- Chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
Boil potatoes (skin on) with 3 tbs kosher salt until soft.
Drain but don't rinse.
While potatoes are hot, push them through a potato ricer, the skins will stay in the ricer...
pull the skins out and put them in with the potatoes.
Working quickly, add the melted butter, salt, pepper and chives. Mix with a rubber spatula.
Cover and reserve warm.
Important not to let potatoes cool. (Don't be cheap with the salt.)
Peeled baby carrots
Skinny asparagus, or any of your favorite vegetables
Preheat a grill pan.
Cut the carrots and zucchini in 1/2" lengthwise.
In a large bowl, toss the carrots and zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Cut the bottom stalks off asparagus. Toss in extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill them until soft.
Veggies should be al dente with visible char marks.
Place on plate and set aside.
One "field roast" celebration roast. Cut into 1/4" slices.
Salt and pepper the slices. Grill each side on a grill pan for just a minute until roast is tender and warm.
On a large white plate, spoon some mashed potatoes on the upper center of plate (about 3 tbs).
Pour about 2 tbs. of red wine sauce below mashers. Lean two slices of celebration roast on mashed potatoes. Arrange vegetables on left hand side of roast and mashers.