Chicken & Noodle Skillet Supper
Nutritious comfort food doesn’t get any better than this all in one skillet. It’s on the table in half an hour with all the goodness of all four food groups. Any day magic that’s sure to get a rise out of your loved ones!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 8 thighs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp/20 mL)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 6 oz (175 g) broad egg noodles
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 4 cups (1 L) frozen mixed baby vegetables (about 1 lb), thawed and drained
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice or white wine vinegar
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from dairygoodness.ca
In a large, deep skillet or pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, turning once, for about 3 min per side. Push chicken to one side and add garlic, basil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper to skillet; sauté for 30 sec.
Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles; arrange chicken in a single layer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 min or until noodles are almost tender.
Flip chicken pieces. Whisk flour into cream and stir into skillet with vegetables. Increase heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, for about 7 min or until chicken is no longer pink inside and sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.