Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb pasta of your choice (I used medium shells)
- 2 lobster tails (I steamed a live lobster and used the tail and claws and also added a bit of fake crab meat). Retain shells to make stock.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds grated cheese mixture of dill havarti, extra sharp cheddar, gouda and romano (reserve 1/2 pound for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pot, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve.
3. In a pot, cook onions in 2 tablespoons of butter for a couple of minutes. De-glaze with the white wine and continue to simmer until the wine is almost gone.
4. Add milk, bay leaf, peppercorns, celery stalks, lobster shells, garlic, and season with sea salt, fresh pepper, then simmer for 20-25 minutes.
6. While your lobster/cream stock is simmering, dice lobster meat into small chunks.
7. Strain lobster sauce and transfer back to pot. Add lobster meat and then add a roux of 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour. Whisk for 5-7 minutes over low heat.
8. Add 1.5 pounds of grated cheese blend and stir for another 2 minutes or so until cheese is incorporated/
9. Place drained pasta in a large bowl and slowly add sauce. Season with sea salt and pepper.
10. Place in baking dish and top with 1/2 pound of remaining cheese blend. Cook until golden and bubbly.