Cabbage and Noodles
Square egg noodles, called fleckerln, an Austrian favorite, are the basis of this dish. Wide egg noodles work just as well.
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled
- 1/2 head cabbage, cored
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. wide egg noodles
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from saveur.com
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and set aside. Thinly slice cabbage and set aside.
2. Melt butter and oil together in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 6–8 minutes. Add cabbage, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until cabbage begins to brown, 5–8 minutes.
3. Cook noodles in boiling water until just cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Drain noodles, add to skillet with cabbage, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes more. Adjust seasonings.
You'll also love
- Kabocha Squash Bites Recipe 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Steak-House Sliders with Mushrooms... 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato Soup 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Baked Shrimp Fettuccine 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Amish egg noodles 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- Stupidly Easy Peanut Noodles 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Cabbage and Smothered Collard... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)