Kathy’s Slow-Cooker Hot and Sour Soup
- 1 10 ounce (280g) package sliced mushrooms
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 8-ounce (225g) can bamboo shoots, drained and jullienned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce (420g) package firm or silken tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons (16g) grated fresh ginger, divided
- 4 cups (940ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (16g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce (or tamari, for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling (Susan’s note: I didn’t need the extra)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) fresh or frozen peas
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 21mins
The Night Before: Store the cut-up mushrooms, bamboo shoots, garlic, and tofu in an airtight container in the fridge. Store the prepared ginger in another airtight container in the fridge.
In the Morning: Combine the mushrooms, bamboo, shoots, garlic, tofu, 1 tablespoon (8g) of the ginger, water, bouillon, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, and vinegar in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
A few minutes before serving, add the peas and the remaining 1 tablespoon (8g) ginger and stir to combine. Taste the broth and add more vinegar or chili if needed. Drizzle a few drops of sesame oil on top of each serving. If you like it milder and your friends like it hot, serve the chili paste on the side.