Southern Style Creamed Peas
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of bacon fat
- 4 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans of peas, any kind, undrained (petit pois recommended)
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama) or to taste, optional
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
In a heavy medium size saucepan, melt the butter and the bacon fat together using a slightly over medium heat setting. Add the flour and stir continually until all of the flour is incorporated. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until roux has turned a medium blond color, like that pictured below.
Remove the roux from the heat and quickly stir in the chopped onion. Return to the stove and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Add the peas, liquid and all, then the sugar, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Creamed Peas and New Potatoes: Cut away a small strip across the center of about a pound of very small, new potatoes, cover with water and boil for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the peas as above; combine the potatoes and peas before serving.
Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions: Place a (1 pound) bag of frozen pearl onions in a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring at least once; drain. Meanwhile prepare the peas as above; combine the onions and peas before serving.