- 2 cups flour (I use enriched and whole wheat), divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease an 11x7" pan. Boil water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a thin gluey paste. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
2. Mix vegan brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa and oil. Then add the flour and water mixture. Mix well.
3. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, nuts, and chocolate chips.
4. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted and come out clean.
This was a really easy, and really tasty recipe. I gave some to my friends and they fell in love with them. They keep asking me to make more. I thought of maybe putting some chocolate frosting on them, but they were perfect without it. Enjoy.