Whole Wheat Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
- 1/3 c. butter or coconut oil, melted*
- 1/2 c. honey or unbleached sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. pumpkin purée**
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 c. hot water
- Streusel - Makes enough for 2 batches; freeze the leftovers
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. rolled oats
- 1/8 c. unbleached sugar
- 2 T. butter (remaining part of stick used for muffins)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Adapted from pinterest.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the butter (or oil), sugar (or honey), and eggs.
3. Stir in the pumpkin purée, vanilla, salt, spices, and flour, stirring just until combined.
4. Add baking soda to hot water and stir well - you don't want bits of baking soda in the batter. Stir into the batter to mix.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, drop scoopfuls of batter onto a prepared muffin sheet.
6. In another bowl, use a fork or your fingers to combine all of the streusel ingredients. Carefully sprinkle a spoonful over each muffin.
6. Bake for 28-30 minutes, until golden brown.