Peas & Carrots Canapés With Chocolate Mint Goat Cheese
- The Peas Layer:
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces fresh-shelled peas or frozen petite peas
- plus two dozen blanched peas for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- The Minted Goat Cheese Layer:
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves; use extra mint leaves
- for plate garnish
- 1/2 ounce 64% or higher dark chocolate, grated on a cheese grater
- or finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large, fat carrots for base
The Peas Layer
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter, then the shallots and saute until soft, but not brown.
Add the cream and reduce by half. Watch it, as the cream tends to bubble up and over. You may have to reduce the heat to low.
Add the peas and heat through. Cover and cook until tender (a few minutes is all it takes). Add the salt.
In a food processor, purée the peas until smooth. Press the peas through a strainer and chill.
The Minted Goat Cheese Layer
In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
Peel the carrots and from the fat end and cut into 1/4 inch coins. You want them to be big enough to make a good bite, so don’t use the smaller end of carrot for coin slices.
For garnish, cut the smaller ends of the carrots into squares (see photo above).
Spread about 1/4 teaspoon of the minted goat cheese on each carrot coin.
If you are adept with a piping bag, pipe on the pea purée. Otherwise, just spoon a dollop of pea purée on top of the goat cheese layer.
Garnish with extra peas and carrot squares. Garnish plate with mint leaves