Linguine with Cabbage and Butter Beans
A cross between a soup and a sauce with linguine.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh fennel (chopped)
- 2 carrots (scraped and chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium savoy cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz dried butter beans (small lima beans)
- 1 lb linguine
- Romano cheese
- Prosciutto Bone (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 130mins
Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the fennel, carrot, onion, and garlic, and saute gently until the vegetables are soft; approximately 30 minutes.
Add the cabbage, red pepper, and salt, and saute for about 10 minutes, until soft. Add the butter beans and 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the beans are soft, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add additional salt to taste.
Bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot.
Cook the linguine until it is almost al dente, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and add it to the sauce. Toss together over low heat until the pasta is al dente. Fold in the remaining butter, and serve with Romano cheese.
Optional: a prosciutto bone can be cooked with the beans.
You'll also love
- Breaded Pork Chops 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Whole Wheat Butternut Squash... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli and Chicken Bake 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemony Soup with White Beans, Kale... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Rigatoni with Tiny Meatballs 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Cranberry Linguine Florentine 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Chile Spiced Cabbage and Rice 4.5/5 (4 Votes)