Wild Rice-and-Mushroom Soup
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, any variety
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup long-grain and wild rice mix
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- white wine optional (well not for me:) )
1.Using a food processor, soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup broth for 10 minutes. Process until coarsely chopped, about 20 seconds.
2.In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rehydrated mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Add sliced mushrooms and sautee for another 3 to 5 minutes to let flavors absorb. Add white wine to pick up all the bits, enough to your fancy:)
3.Stir in the remaining 5 cups broth, the rice mix and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.