green beans with carmalized shallots
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil and 1 tbsp butter
- 2 medium shallots, sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 lb. assorted fresh mushrooms (button, baby bella, shiitake, oyster, chanterelle, etc), sliced
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c toasted chopped almonds
1. Place green beans in a steamer insert placed in a pan above a small amount of boiling water. Cover and steam until tender but not squishy (or however you desire them to be).
2. While beans are steaming, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the water they release has evaporated and they begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the green beans, lemon juice and stir to combine and rewarm. Season with salt and pepper and almonds.