Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz) reduced fat tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups peeled, diced yams
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups packed, chopped, fresh spinach
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
Add all remaining ingredients, except spinach. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add spinach and simmer for 15 more minutes.
*Make one day ahead for the best flavour*