Mulligatawny Soup - Pioneer Woman
Can serve over rice
Use any kind of cooked chicken you might already have
- 1 whole Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut Into Bite-Sized Pieces
- Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Medium Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced Finely
- 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 32 ounces, fluid Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Half-and-half (or use combined with coconut milk)
- 1 whole Granny Smith Apple, Peeled And Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar (white Or Brown) More Or Less To Taste
- 2 teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper or pepper flakes (optional, For Spice)
Adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
Season diced chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove chicken to a plate. Set aside.
In the same pot, add butter and reduce heat to medium. Add diced onion and garlic and stir to cook. Onions should be starting to brown.
Sprinkle flour over onions. Stir to combine, then stir in curry powder. Cook mixture over medium heat for one minute, stirring constantly.
Pour in chicken broth. Stir to combine, then cook for five minutes. Add half and half, salt, pepper, and sugar, then cook for another five minutes.
Add chicken and diced apple and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off and allow to stand 5 or 10 minutes before serving. Taste for seasonings before serving.