Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste or panang curry paste (Thai Kitchen brand is gluten-free.)
- 1 pound flank steak or hanger steak, cut into 1-inch pieces, each 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 heaping teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (Thai Kitchen and Red Boat brands are gluten-free.)
- Two 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 12 to 16 ounces rice pasta (Tinkyada and Thai Kitchen brands are gluten-free.)
- 1/2 cup basil (Thai basil, if you can get it)
Adapted from blog.cookingchanneltv.com
Heat oil in a large saucepan or enamel cast-iron pot over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add curry paste and stir until incorporated.
Add beef to the pan and saute for 1 minute.
Add peas and stir mixture to coat evenly with curry paste.
Stir in peanut butter, brown sugar, black pepper and fish sauce until well combined.
Add coconut milk and broth, stir well, and bring to a boil.
Add pasta, then reduce to a simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, until pasta is tender.
Remove from heat and stir in basil. Let rest for 1 minute. Serve.