Apple Upside-Down Cake
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup apple cider or juice plus extra for cake mix
- 1/3 cup (5-1/2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from mrfood.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking with cooking spray.
In a medium-sized saucepan, simmer sliced apples in 1 cup cider for about 5 minutes, or just until tender. Drain, reserving apple cider. Combine 2 tablespoons reserved, warm cider with butter and brown sugar in prepared baking pan.
Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and stir mixture. Arrange apple slices and cherry halves in brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts; set aside.
Prepare cake mix, substituting apple cider for water that is called for in package directions. Pour batter into pan over sugar-nut mixture.
Bake 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and invert on a serving platter; let stand about 1 minute, then remove pan. (Rearrange apple slices and cherries, if necessary.) Serve warm.