Low Carb Apple Breakfast Cakes
These mini cakes are delicious. They are smothered in a scrumptious Vanilla cream frosting which is a low-carb cream cheese frosting using spreadable cream cheese, however, less cream cheese is required as some of the bulk contributed is from the whey protein powder. This frosting remains spreadable straight out of the refrigerator.
- Vanilla Cream Frosting:
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream (75 mL)
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol (60 mL)
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetner (15 mL)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (7 mL)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free Bake Mix (150 mL)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (5 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (2 mL)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1 mL)
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple, or blueberries (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (75 mL)
- 4 ounces spreadable cream cheese (125 g)
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein (125 mL)
- Liquid sweetener to equal 1/3 cup (75 mL)
- 3 tablespoons powdered erythritol, sifted* (45 mL)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (30 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 mL)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from low-carb-news.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 3 ramekins.
In food processor, place egg; process. Add sour cream, granulated erythritol, liquid sweetener, coconut oil and vanilla extract; process well.
In small bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to wet ingredients and process until smooth, scraping the sides at least once. Pour batter into each ramekin. Top with diced apple, blueberries, OR chocolate chips. Stir it in.
Fill 3 ramekins with the same amount of batter. Bake 40 minutes, or until turning golden brown on top and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool 10 minutes in ramekins. Loosen around the circumference with a knife and invert onto a pretty plate. If desired, frost with Vanilla Cream Frosting (recipe below) when completely cool. These are great cold out of the refrigerator as well.
7.6/7.6/8.2 g protein
22.3/22.4/26.9 g fat
9.7/9.5/8.0 g net carbs
VANILLA CREAM FROSTING:
In food processor, place spreadable cream cheese, vanilla whey protein, liquid sweetener, powdered erythritol, melted butter and vanilla extract. Process until well combined, scraping sides at least once. If the frosting is too soft, place in the refrigerator for an hour.
Helpful Hints: *Instead of sifting the erythritol, you can grind it finely in a coffee grinder. Double the recipe for frosting double-layered cakes.
Yield: 1 cup (250 mL)
1 whole batch
34.2 g protein
42.8 g fat
6.3 g net carbs
You'll also love
- Strawberry Cream Puff Cake 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Olive Garden Copycat Alfredo Sauce 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Mini Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cream... 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Coconut Layer Cake 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Chocolate Champagne Truffles 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Apple Crisp 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Apple pie a la mode 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Melt In Your Mouth Blueberry Cake 4.4/5 (49 Votes)