BAKED PENNE WITH THREE CHEESE
- 1 . 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 . 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 . 4 cups milk
- 4 . 1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese, shredded
- 5 . 1/2 pound Gorgonzola cheese, in pieces
- 6 . 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 . salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 . 3/4 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 9 . 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 105mins
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
2. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes; do not brown.
3. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the Fontina, Gorgonzola and Parmesan and stir until cheeses melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; set aside.
5. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Oil a shallow 2 1/2 quart dish.
6. Fill a large pot 3/4's full with water, salt it lightly and bring to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and sauce to prepared dish. Sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs.
7. Bake until top is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then spoon into warmed bowls and serve.