Large-Batch Vanilla Frosting - CC
We cut the butter into pieces and let them soften—but not too much or the frosting will be greasy. Many recipes for vanilla frosting call for milk, but we prefer heavy cream, which gives the frosting a silky quality.
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 32 pieces and softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
1. Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip butter, cream, vanilla, and salt on medium-low speed until combined.
2. Slowly add sugar and continue to mix until smooth, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and whip frosting until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.