Butterscotch Pots de Crème
Be careful when adding the hot brown sugar mixture to the egg yolks. Whisk it in slowly, a little at a time, to gently raise the temperature of the yolks. Adding a hot liquid too quickly can curdle the yolks, giving the custard a broken appearance and texture instead of being smooth and creamy.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- 1 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Heat oven to 300°F. Place 8 (6-oz.) ramekins in baking pan.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar; whisk 2 to 3 minutes or until combined. Remove from heat; slowly whisk in half-and-half until blended. Return to heat; whisk until mixture is hot but not steaming, and light brown. Remove from heat.
2. In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly whisk in hot brown sugar mixture. Whisk in vanilla. Strain through fine strainer into liquid measuring cup.
3. Pour custard into ramekins. Add enough boiling water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Cover pan securely with foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until custards are set but still quivery like gelatin.
4. With tongs, remove ramekins from hot water; cool on wire rack 45 minutes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. To decorate custards, place white chocolate and semisweet chocolate in separate resealable freezer bags; seal bags. Bring medium saucepan of water to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand several minutes. Place bags with chocolate in water 1 to 2 minutes or until melted, squeezing chocolate occasionally to melt thoroughly. Once melted, remove from water; let stand 5 minutes to cool slightly.
6. Snip tiny corner off each bag; pipe decorative lines, swirls or designs directly onto custard surfaces. Or pipe decorative designs (stars, spirals, etc.) onto piece of parchment paper. Let stand until cool and set. Remove from parchment; place on custards. Serve custards cold.
PER SERVING: 405 calories, 28 g total fat (16 g saturated fat), 5.5 g protein, 35.5 g carbohydrate, 225 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 0 g fiber