- Carrot Bisque
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 large (1 pound) russet potato
- 8 medium-large (1 1/2 pounds) fresh carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup 2 percent or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- Note: If you do not have an immersion blender, divide the soup into portions and use a blender to process until smooth.
- Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings.
- PER SERVING: 126 calories, less than 1 g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 2 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 703 mg sodium
COMBINE broth and water in 4-quart or larger Dutch oven or soup pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. While broth is heating, peel and cut the vegetables into bite-size pieces and add to the pot as you chop. When all vegetables are in the pot, reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 10 more minutes, or until largest vegetable pieces are tender.
REMOVE from heat. Stir in milk. Using a handheld immersion blender (see Note), process the soup until smooth. Stir in spices and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.