Deep Fried Pumpkin Fritters with Caramel-toffee Syrup
- 3 cups (750 gram) crown pumpkin, cooked, mashed and well-drained (add a cinnamon stick when you cook it for more flavour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (500 ml or 275 gram) self raising flour
- 3 teaspoons (15 ml) baking powder
- 500 ml oil for frying
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) custard powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Ensure that the cooked pumpkin is well drained.
2. Beat eggs, add to pumpkin and mix.
3. Sift the self-raising flour, salt and baking powder together and mix with pumpkin to form a soft dough.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
5. Scoop batter into frying oil using a dessert spoon and fry until light brown and cooked through.
6. Drain on kitchen paper.
7. Keep warm in serving dish.
1. Add a little of the cold water to the custard powder and mix to form a smooth paste.
2. Heat the rest of the water and evaporated milk in a saucepan and dissolve the sugar in it.
3. Add butter and cinnamon and bring to the boil.
4. Stir in the custard powder paste and boil for a minute.
5. Pour sauce over warm fritters and serve immediately.