Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls
By Jeanne Sauvage of The Art of Gluten-Free Baking
- Ingredients for Jeanne's gluten-free all-purpose flour mix:
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 scant teaspoons xanthan gum
- Prepare the flour mix:
- 1 . Sift ingredients together and store in the refrigerator.
- Ingredients for dinner rolls:
- Melted butter (for pan and brushing tops of rolls)
- Tapioca flour (for coating pan)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups warm (not hot) milk
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (Red Star)
- 3 cups Jeanne's gluten-free all-purpose flour mix (recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Adapted from blogs.kqed.org
1. Butter muffin tins well and dust with flour.
2. In a small bowl, whisk sugar into warm milk. Add yeast and whisk to dissolve. Set aside to allow the yeast time to proof -- you'll know this is happening when it starts to get foamy on top.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In bowl of stand mixer, beat together eggs, apple cider vinegar and oil. Add yeast mixture, beat well, then add flour mixture, beating on high with paddle attachment for 3 minutes.
5. Spoon dough into prepared muffin tins, filling to 3/4 of each cup. With a butter knife that has been dipped in tapioca flour, cut a deep slash in the top of each roll. Don't worry if there's a little extra tapioca flour left on the rolls.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put muffin tins on top of stove to rise in close proximity to warmth of the preheating stove. Let rise until they have just about doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes. Once rolls have risen, brush the top of each with melted butter and bake in preheated oven until the tops are a nice golden brown, about 20 minutes.
7. Remove rolls from tins and place them in a towel-lined basket to keep warm. These rolls keep well, although you'll probably eat them all the day you bake them!