Slow Cooker Beef and Stout Stew
- 1 1/2 lb yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb carots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb parsnips peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 lb stewing beef cubes
- 4 strips thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups stout beer
- 3/4 cup sodium reduced beef broth
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 27mins
In slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, celery,onion, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
Top with beef and bacon
Whisk together stout, broth, 1/2 cup water and worcestershire sauce; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on low until beef and vegetables are tender, 7 hours. Discard bay leaves.
Whisk flour with 1 cup of the cooking liquid until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Stir in peas; cook covered, on high until thickened, about 30 minutes.