Puerto Rican Pique (Tabasco)
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 4 to six ounces of pineapple rind and core
- 8 small red chilies (ajies caballeros)
- 4 garlic cloves in big slices
- 1 tb black pepper in whole grains, without
- 1/2 tsp oregano leaves (dry)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 16 oz glass bottle with a tight cover
- 1 glass bowl
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Place the pineapple rinds and core in a
Heat water just to boiling and pour into the bowl.
Allow the pineapple mixture to ferment during at least 24 hours.
You can tell when the mixture has fermented by a tangy smell and taste.
Drop all ingredients included above into the 16 oz glass bottle.
Strain the pineapple mixture and pour into the bottle.
Cover the bottle tightly and ley it ferment for about five days.
After fermenting, keep in the refrigerator.
This pique is quite HOT and should be used sparingly.Use at the table to enhance the taste of soups, beans, rice dishes